We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.George Bernard Shaw
There’s an old saying: “Do one thing that scares you everyday.” I used to think that only referred to forcing myself to watch more horror movies or trying indoor skydiving. As I have gotten older, I realize that life constantly offers us moments to challenge ourselves, and sometimes those moments end up being the most fun of all.
To me, playing is a state of being. It’s the experiences big and small that shape our lives beyond our rigid schedules. Playing is finding the fun in the ordinary and turning the typical into the unpredictable. There is opportunity for play each and every day. All we have to do is open ourselves to it.
Like everyone else, I love to have a good time; kicking up my heels after a long day is certainly not beneath me. But, when I talk about “play,” I’m referring to much more than happy hour drinks or dancing all night (although many times I’m talking about precisely those two things).
Stay tuned for my spring “play-list” and get ready to have the time of your life, anytime!
Playing a Life Explored with a Dance Class
Dancing is one of the oldest cultural pillars in human history. From the dawn of man, people have been dancing in celebration, for healing, and to express themselves. It’s a naturally aerobic activity at any skill level and has a style for every taste.
Try one of these trusted online studios to find the movement class that’s right for you!
- STEEZY Studio: Step-by-step instruction on modern dance movements choreographed for every level.
- CLI Studios: CLI provides 800 various dance instruction classes in every genre of music, including ballet, ballroom, musical theater, jazz and more modern steps all choreographed for ease and fun.
- Dance Plug: DancePlug offers a range of tutorials across numerous dance genres. From ballet to hip-hop and even Bollywood, there is a class for you with easy-to-follow and customizable videos at your pace and skill level.
Playing a Life Explored in Nature
I always say Fall is my favorite season of the year. Yet when Spring comes, it’s hard to overlook the benefits of longer and sunnier days. With warmer weather and blooming plants and flowers, there’s a whole lot of ways to have fun. Some of these spring activities may be tried and true, and some may be some you’ve never done before. Whichever it is for you it can help us all capture the best of the season while exploring nature and the wild outdoors.
- Attend a Spring training baseball game
- Dine al fresco
- Fly a Kite: Don’t own one; check out “Into the Wind“
- Go Bird Watching and/or Hang a Bird Feeder: Support small business and check out these great feeders from Etsy.
- Hike a New Trail
- Go to the Farmer’s Market for some fresh berries and make a pie
- Plant a Spring Garden of Flowers, Vegetables and/or Herbs
- Watch the Sun Rise
- Plan Your Summer Vacation
- Have a Garage sale and declutter some closets along the way
Playing a Life Explored with Reorganization
Keep that productive momentum going by getting a head start on spring cleaning! We use our material possessions as emotional crutches far too often in this life and unburdening yourself from their weight is an amazing first step towards a lighter way of living.
It’ll be hard at first, but once you start asking yourself “does this bring me joy?” it will become easier than ever to let all that old junk go!
Peruse these top tips from the declutter queen herself to streamline your straightening up:
- Don’t let nostalgia cloud your judgment.
- Get rid of the paperwork.
- Dig deep.
Implementing play is not something we’re taught to make space for, and it’ll probably seem fruitless at first. However, even the pursuit of play will help you to see opportunities that would have otherwise been invisible to you.
Take a chance on your life this spring. Take a chance on yourself. And “spring” into a life of play that is truly explored.