I believe if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade . . . And try and find someone whose life has given them vodka, And have a party.Ron White, Comedian
Who doesn’t love a cold, refreshing [alcoholic] beverage?! We all work hard, and at the end of the day, sometimes we just need a drink that says “Aaaahhhh!” This is just the one to do that—my ultimate limoncello lemon martini.
Mastro’s Steakhouse is one of my favorite steakhouse restaurants in the country. While the dining room experience is always lovely, I generally gravitate to the bar for its people-watching scene, food, and, of course, refreshing libations. IMHO, they create the ultimate in lemon drop martinis. Just watch and see.
What makes it the ultimate? It is elegant. Cold. Tantalizing. Fresh. It produces pucker and is served with dry ice. Yes, dry ice! Shaken, not stirred, then poured into a sugar rimmed martini glass, this lemon libation is the eccentricity of The Munsters meets the glamour of a Bond girl!
Most of us cannot recreate it at home with dry ice, though we can get really close. I’ve found that there are certain key ingredients:
- Quality citrus flavored vodka, cold from the freezer. Try Ketel One, Grey Goose or Absolut Citrus. The citrus flavor definitely makes a difference.
- Limoncello is my secret ingredient to uplevel this cocktail with an added layer of lemony deliciousness. Try Pallini Limoncello.
- The juice of a fresh large lemon. Fresh lemon juice is imperative. Make sure you use a press and get all of the flavor you can from the lemon (or two, depending upon size).
- Sweet & Sour mix to balance the flavors.
- Simple Syrup to add some smooth sweetness.
For an extra-special presentation that adds flavor to the cocktail itself, try any or all of these options: muddled strawberries, lemon-sugar rim, or a slice of a fresh lemon.
Put all of these components together—and voila!—you have one mighty fine and refreshing lemon martini. Turn on some fun summer tunes, sit down with friends, and sip one of these. Nothing but good vibes!
ULTIMATE LIMONCELLO LEMON MARTINI
2 ounces citrus vodka, fresh from freezer
2 ounces limoncello
1 ounce simple syrup
2 ounces sweet and sour mix
Juice of large lemon
Thinly sliced lemon, for garnish
1 or 2 mashed fresh strawberries, if desired
1. Fill a martini shaker with ice about one-third to one-half full.
2. Add vodka, limoncello, simple syrup, sweet and sour mix, andlemon juice.
3. Shake vigorously.
4. Dip rim of glass into lemon sugar. (Rim of glass must be a bit wet for sugar to stick.
5. Muddle one or two fresh strawberries and place in the bottom of the glass.
6. Pour contents of martini shaker into the glass.
7. Float thin slice of lemon on top.
8. Good luck trying to limit yourself to one.