You don’t need a silver fork to enjoy good food.Paul Prudhomme
Lettuce wraps are a favorite around here. They’re easy. They’re fun. And they’re healthy! I’m sure this is one of those recipes your entire family will enjoy for a casual weeknight meal.
There are so many variations to lettuce wraps. You can go with ground chicken, sliced steak, grilled shrimp, and/or vegetables. My recipe uses ground turkey with some Asian spices, scallions, and ginger. The best part about them is that they are low-carb, and packed with flavor.
This recipe is also excellent as a casual appetizer with friends—and wine! Serve each ingredient on a large board or in separate bowls; and invite everyone to assemble their own.
ASIAN GLAZED TURKEY MEATBALL LETTUCE WRAPS
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Serves 4-6 people
Serve this with your favorite fried rice or stir-fried veggies, and fresh fruit sorbet for dessert.
Wine Pairing: 2018 Schermeister Salomon Vineyard Schermeister Viognier (available only at: Schermeister Winery;Cost: $24.95
Wine Enthusiast Tasting Notes: “High toned in cranberry, rhubarb and
- A small production winery in Sonoma; only 170 cases were produced.
- Intensely fragrant and tropical with notes of pineapple, guava and mango
Dr Loosen Blue Slate Riesling (available at: Total Wine; $14.99
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound of carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
Salt & Pepper
1 pound ground turkey
½ cup panko
½ cup, plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 large clove garlic, minced
¼ cup hoisin sauce
Outer leaves of Butter Lettuce
⅓ cup dry roasted chopped peanuts
1. Position rack to center of oven, and heat to 450 degrees.
2. Coat large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
3.Place carrots on baking sheet, and toss with oil, ½ teaspoon of five-spice powder, along with salt and pepper. Spread carrots in a single layer and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp tender. Midway through roasting, toss carrots.
4. While carrots are roasting, prepare meatballs. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, panko, 2 tablespoons scallions, beaten egg, soy sauce, garlic, ½ teaspoon five-spice powder, salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands until evenly distributed. Divide mixture into even portions; an ice cream scoop works very well. Arrange in single layer and add to the baking sheet in oven once the carrots are done.
5. Bake meatballs for approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and baste with hoisin sauce. Return to oven for another 5-8 minutes.
6. Remove meatballs from oven when finished baking. Baste one additional time with hoisin sauce, and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
7. Serve meatballs and carrots with lettuce leaves, along with scallions and peanuts for garnish.