Being a good neighbor is an art which makes life richer.Gladys Taber, Author
Today is officially the National Day to “Do Something Good For Your Neighbor,” not that we need a single day for that, but often we need the reminder.
What a simple gesture! And oh, what sweet rewards!
There’s no dispute that life has been tough for everyone lately. We’re living more solitary lives quietly in our own homes with scarce interaction with others, even our neighbors. Even with COVID-19 precautions in place, we can still recognize our neighbors with a little friendship and show them they are in our thoughts.
Here are some simple ideas of kindness and goodness anyone would appreciate, especially your neighbor. Whatever you do, do it with sincerity; the rewards will be bountiful.
- Treats—Bake and take cookies or sweets to your neighbor.
- Grocery Run—Offer to go to the store for your neighbor, and if it’s just a few items that don’t cost much, deliver it to them gratis.
- Flowers—Find out your neighbor’s favorite flowers and plant a little something in an area of their yard. Or, deliver some flowers from your garden with a kind note.
- Pets—People love their pets! If you see your neighbor walking their dog, give them a small bag of organic treats or an inexpensive gift card to a pet supply store.
- Express Gratitude—Leave a card on your neighbor’s front door overnight telling them how much you enjoy their garden and blooming flowers from your front window.
- Shop Local—Support your local neighborhood businesses. There are likely a lot of local businesses near you who are just starting to reopen from COVID-19 closures. Alternatively, leave a good review on the internet showing your support.
- Kindness App—For iPhone users, download Karmic, a kindness generator app designed to give you an instant inspiration of suggestions for a daily good deed.
- Dinner Delivery—Be the neighborhood delivery person one day. Take orders from a favorite location, pick it up, and deliver. Watch out, Instacart!
- Smile and Wave—Smile. Smile. And Smile. Wave to people! Those are the best free gifts ever!