Classic Bloody Mary
A classic Bloody, Mary is made of simple ingredients. The trick to finding the perfect balance of brightness and "heat" is to add ingredients in small measures or pinches as you build the Bloody Mary layers. You need a little help from your food processor or blender to bring this simple and tasty Bloody Mary mix together.
- 2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 fresh hot chile red or green
- 2 lemons for juicing
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated horseradish to taste
- celery stalk with leaves for garnish
- Course salt or Tanjin for rim of glass
Roughly chop the tomatoes, shallot and chile.
Blend until smooth, then filter through a sieve.
Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, and horseradish to taste.
- Layer in the ingredients a little at a time. Taste as you go. One flavor shouldn't overpower the others.
- Make a day ahead of time.
- Store in an airtight glass container.
- Garnish with salted rim, tomato wedge and/or celery stick.