Figs are a sometimes forgotten fruit. Yet, in this margarita, they're the star ingredient! Trust me on this one!
- 1.5 ounces blanco tequila
- 1 ounce fig syrup (recipe follows)
- 0.5 ounce Triple Sec
- 0.25 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 pints figs stems removed, cut into quarters
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lime wedge for garnish, optional
- 1 fig wedge for garnish, optional
- Margarita Salt for rim of glass
For the fig syrup:Cut the figs into quarters, removing the stems. In a small pot, bring the figs to boil with the water and sugar, lower the heat and simmer until the syrup has reduced by half. Let cool to room temperature and strain into a clean glass jar. Refrigerate up to two weeks. For the cocktail:Combine the tequila, one ounce fig syrup, triple sec, lime juice into a martini shaker with ice. Shake well to combine. Strain into an ice-filled glass. Rim glass with margarita salt, if desired and garnish with lime and/or fig wedge.